Jon Lord, Janne Wirman and Jordan Rudess – what do these names have in common (besides the fact that their first names begin with ‘J’… seriously)? The answer is that all three are legendary musicians from the bands Deep Purple, Children of Bodom and Dream Theater, respectively, with their instrument of choice viagra online canada being the synthesizer. Today’s Google doodle is in the memory of the father of the instrument that makes the above said names simply awesome – Bob Moog.
About this doodle – it’s a synthesizer! Also, it’s not just any synth; it’s probably one of the first. If that wasn’t already innovative enough, it has recording capabilities!
Being a musician myself, the doodle holds a lot of appeal for me because at first I thought it was just an image. Then I pressed one of the keys and – bravo! There was music!
Now I have exceeded my quota of exclamation marks for this post, so I have to pretend to be calm for the rest of it.
Anyway, here are a few facts related to the recent-most doodle by Google:
- The doodle celebrates the 78th birthday of American electronic music pioneer, Robert Arthur “Bob” Moog (pronounced ‘Mohg’).
- He was born on the 23rd of May, 1934 (which would be pretty obvious given that today is his 78th birthday right? Or were you really wondering along those lines?). He passed away on August, the 21st, 2005.
- He is best known as the inventor of the ‘Moog Synthesizer’ (Yes that is what you call the doodle.)
- His innovative electronic design is employed in numerous synthesizers including the Little Phatty, Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Moog Minitaur, the Animoog iOS app, and the Moogerfooger line of effects pedals and all that jazz.
- Moog earned his bachelor’s degree in Physics from from Queens College, New York (1957) and also did a PhD in engineering physics from Cornell University.
- For his exceptional work he was conferred with several awards including an honorary doctorate. In 1970, he received the Grammy Trustees Award.
Oh, did I mention that the doodle has recording capabilities?! Wait, yes I did. Must. Stop. Now.
Sources for info: wikipedia.com, timesofindia.com